Thursday, May 31, 2012

Baby's First Photo!

On Tuesday night around 11:00 I started cramping a little, as the night went on the cramps became more painful and it almost felt as if I was getting my period (sorry if TMI!), but worse!  No matter what position I tried to lay in, I couldn’t get comfortable.  Around 4am I had to go to the bathroom and when I wiped I noticed bright red blood.   My mind instantly thought the worst case scenario miscarriage.  I debated on going into the ER, but Daniel talked me into waiting until my doctor’s office opened at 8 and calling them.

I decided to go ahead and go into work and just call the doctor’s office once they opened.  I called at 8:00 and left a message with one of the nurses.  She immediately called me back and asked me to come in for blood work and then to come back at 1:30 for an appointment with one of the doctor’s.   At 1:30, Daniel met me at the office for my appointment. My blood work came back good, my HCG level was at 34,000 which my doctor was right on for 7 weeks.  He did an internal exam and confirmed that my cervix was closed.  He still wanted to send me for an ultrasound just to make sure that everything is okay.

We headed over to the hospital, I had to get more blood work done and then we were taken back from the ultrasound.  The technician was wonderful and explained she couldn’t tell us anything, but if she started pointing out things that more than likely everything was alright.  The first thing she said once the wand was on my stomach was “See that flicker? That’s your baby’s heart beat!”.  Tears immediately came in my eyes and Daniel squeezed my hand a little tighter.  Everything was going to be alright!

The technician continued to look at other things, my ovaries, measured the baby and it’s heart beat.   The baby was measuring 4 days behind then what I had thought. So instead of being 7 weeks for 4 days, I was only measuring 7 weeks.  The heart beat was 146 .  After my ultrasound they held me at the office so they could call my doctor.  Once the got a hold of her doctor, they let met talk to him.  He explained that had a few cysts on my right ovary and more then likely that was what was causing the pain.  They want to continue to monitor the size of the cysts throughout my pregnancy.  I was told to take it easy, not to do any heavy lifting and to get plenty of rest.
So without further ado, here’s the first picture of baby #2!

After the ultrasound we had to head up to Labor & Delivery so I could get the Rhogam shot since I am Rh negative.  It was funny to be on the labor floor and to see one of the nurses who helped prep me when I was in labor with Cecilia.  She remembered us (she also went to school with Daniel) and asked how Cecilia was.  It’s hard to believe (fingers crossed!) in 8 months I will be back there delivering baby number two!  It just seems like a lifetime away!
P.S.  Cecilia has been asking me to take a picture of the baby since we told her we were pregnant.   She looks at her sonogram pictures in her baby book all the time and she wants to know what her little sister (she’s convinced it’s a girl) will look like.  When we showed her the picture she said “That’s not a baby!” So we had to explain the baby’s really little right now, but every week she is going to grow and get bigger and bigger! 


AndreaLeigh said...

i'm sorry you had to go through that, but I sure am glad everything is ok! I will keep you in my prayers.

Mandy said...

Glad everything is okay! Will continue to keep you in my prayers. Love that first swee picture of the heartbeat!