Sunday, July 8, 2012

30 Things: Day 3



Today is Day 3 of Thirty Things and today’s question is:

3. Describe your relationship with your parents.

 I am really lucky that I have a great relationship with my parents.  I think growing up I was closer to my parents then most kids.  I actually hung out with my parents on a Friday night (by choice) and enjoyed it.  Growing up, especially in the high school years my parents were strict, mainly my father.  I wasn’t allowed to date until I was 16, I had a curfew even when I was home on college break and every boyfriend I dated my parents had to meet him before we went out on a first date.  No boys were allowed in my bedroom.  The first “boyfriend” allowed in my bedroom was Daniel and that was after we were married and we had to stay at my parents during the blizzard of 2010, because our power was out for days.

My dad is a retired police officer and he was the Police Chief in our local town.  Everyone in our County knew him, I may or may not have been let off of a few speeding tickets because of my last name. In high school though I was a goody-goody.  I had friends who were honor society members, we didn’t drink,  we didn’t smoke.  I was a virgin until college. I was always so scared that I would get caught.  The last thing I wanted to do was disappoint my parents.

I talk to my mom almost every day, sometimes multiple times a day.  If there are days I don’t call, she’ll call me just to make sure everything is okay.  My mom and I are alike in a lot of ways, but in many ways we’re different.  My mom’s simple, she only wears make up on special occasions, she is not a fan of dressing up and she only owns maybe five pairs of shoes total.  I am far from that.  I always get told I take after my Aunt Bonnie more then my mom when it comes to fashion.   I think I am like my mom’s when it comes to a love of entertaining, cooking and her sensitive personality. My mom has always been my biggest cheerleader.  She made it to every single softball game from T-ball on, she didn’t miss a school concert or dance recitals and she was by my side when I was in labor with Cecilia.  She is always there if I need someone to talk to and she’ll tell me if I am in the wrong in certain situations. 

I am very lucky to have the relationship I have with my parents.  I hope one day Cecilia can say the same about Daniel and I.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

No comments: